The Abyss offers a groundbreaking motivational and multilevel referral system, allowing gamers to earn from in-game and social activities, and other gamers’ payments as well. By joining the Abyss, developers will reduce their marketing expenses and receive an extra income from referral payments made in other games on the platform.
ABYSS tokens are a priority internal mechanism for interaction on the platform (ERC20 standard on the Ethereum blockchain). The game platform will be available for Desktop (Windows, MacOS, Linux), Mobile (iOS and Android) and Web. So without any further ado, let’s delve into a detailed review of Abyss’ ICO.
Key Characteristics of the Project:
- Increasing income from a single user: a powerful, multilevel referral program whereby a user brought in by a developer provides the developer an income (paid in ABYSS tokens) from all payments and achievements in any other game on the platform.
- The player also profits: An analogous referral system is built on a viral basis whereby players receive income (paid in ABYSS tokens) for bringing in friends and their payments. Also, the gamer can earn from different activities on the platform (achievements, content generation, internal CPA Network, etc.)
The Abyss utilizes the principle of affiliate marketing: a maximal income is obtained by players and developers who are the first to bring in users to the platform. The system is oriented at more effectively inviting and retaining users than any other in the video game sphere.
Abyss offers a wide range of profitable options for players, such as referral payments, rewards for game achievements, etc.
When the Abyss receives a payment, 70% goes to the game developer and we keep the remaining 30%. 1/3 of our income is distributed to our multilevel referral program. A referrer receives 4% (level 1), 2% (level 2), 2% (level 3), 1% (level 4), and 1% (level 5) from payments made by his referrals.
In 2017, the video game industry exceeded an income level of $100 billion dollars. The market size is around $104.6 billion now. It has expanded 12% so far this year, and by 2020 is expected6 to increase by 60-80% to reach an income of $168.8 billion.
SuperData predicts that the segment of massively multiplayer online (MMO) games expanded 13% in 2016 with the number of active users reaching 879 million, primarily regarding F2P games. MMO games are a priority for The Abyss.
MMO games for personal computers (PC) confidently lead in all indicators among games of various genres. MMO games accounted for 60% of the profits of all PC games in 2016.
According to NewZoo report, worldwide incomes from multiplayer online projects will continue to rise significantly.
Distribution of tokens
Team and founders
Allocation of Funds
11 other core team members
The Abyss has generated a lot of hype around being the worlds first DAICO (a combination of Distributed Autonomous Organisation (DOA) and Initial Coin Offering (ICO)). They have an interesting video explaining the concept on their pinned tweet on twitter which I encourage you to watch:
Let’s send him a direct invitation! Watch and share this video with the hashtag #VitalikButerin on your social media.
— The Abyss (@theabyss) February 13, 2018
They want to recreate Steam and structure it as a DAO. Combining crypto economic incentives, they aim to grow a network of gamers and game developers into a single platform: The Abyss.
Although it’s an interesting idea, I believe the amount being raised is far too ambitious and with an implied market cap of 146mil at ICO price, I see this token being available in the secondary market at a lower price if the hype dies down and interest waivers.
I’m unconvinced by the strength of the team, they aim to disrupt the gaming industry which is full of talented developers and experienced management. It is unlikely that they will outcompete the likes of Steam, and they also have a small number of advisors who seem unrelated to the gaming industry.
This may be a critical view, but when investing in such an early stage venture, the quality of the team is one of the most, if not the most important factor when considering an investment.
They are a member of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance which is interesting as the EEA usually onboard more established enterprises, I’m surprised The Abyss wasn’t taken under the ConsenSys arm of Ethereum. But either way, this speaks volumes about the quality of the project.
My main drawback is the lofty valuation they put on the business at such an early stage, this is a high-risk investment, made riskier by the high price.
- http://progamedev.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Newzoo_Free_2016_Global_Games_Market_Report.pdf ↑
That sums up my The Abyss ICO review. Do you think it’s worth investing in? Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Featured image by The Abyss